Learn the Various Types of Compensations Your Employees Can Claim Under WICA

As an employer, it’s your job to protect your employees under any circumstances work-related. If they experience an injury or disease due to work, you’ll have to compensate them for the hassle. The Work Injury Compensation Act is a kind of insurance policy that will help you protect your workers from work-related incidents, may it be fatal or non-fatal. Apart from that, it protects your business too. So if you want to be more proactive when it comes to the financial protection of your business and the safety of your employees, this is the right choice. Seeking work injury compensation insurance? Click here.

 Medical Leave Wages

Medical leave wages are only payable for MC, light duty, or hospitalization leave. But it has to be granted by a Singapore-registered doctor or dentist. It’s not payable for non-working days, such as rest days and public holidays. These are compensation and not a form of income. Therefore, these are not taxable.

Medical Expenses

Employers are required to pay for the medical expenses that are related to a work accident up to a maximum limit of S$45,000 or one year from the date of the accident. The list of eligible expenses are as follows:

  • Ward Charges
  • Medical Consultation Fees
  • Medical Report Fees
  • Emergency Transport Charges
  • Medicines
  • Artificial Limbs
  • Surgical Appliances
  • Treatments
  • Dental Charges

Seeking work injury compensation insurance? Click here.


If a claim is prescribed or by a registered Doctor or Dentist:

  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Traditional Chinese Medicine

Lump Sum Compensation

Lump sum compensations are given to an employee of the employee’s family in the event of permanent incapacity, death, or current incapacity. For permanent and current incapacity, this happens when the injury or illness permanently affects the employee’s ability to work. The same thing happens if death occurs due to a workplace accident. The dependants or the family of the deceased will receive the compensation in an X amount.

What Happens to the Employer

If you’re the employer, you’ll have to process these incidents once it happens. Report the incident to the Ministry of Manpower immediately. But you’ll have to pay for the medical leave wages and medical expenses while you’re waiting for the notice of assessment. Once done, that’s the only time you’ll know the compensation you get from the insurance company. For permanent incapacity, currency incapacity, and death – the insurance company will need to pay it to the employer or the family of the deceased in due time.

Related Articles


Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker