Grief is one of the biggest feelings to control, it eats deep into the soul and leaves one with nothing. When we lose a loved one, someone dear to us, we often experience intense emotion and go through what we call the stages of grief, this is why there are helps like singapore bereavement services where there are a group of experts who would offer grief counselling and listen as you share your experience. In case you are wondering how and what you will gain from going for counselling when you lose someone, then you need to read this article as it will help you see how the specialist will help you freely express your emotions, anger, fear, helplessness, regret, hatred, guilt, anxiety, pain etc.
What is grief and bereavement counselling?
This is a form of treatment that is intended to help you cope with the loss of a loved one like a family member, friend, spouse and/or child. Because the feeling of loss can be overwhelming, counselling helps to voice out one’s thoughts and not keep them hidden. Most grief counselling sessions are done as a group or in a group, hence you do not feel alone or out of place when talking about your feelings.
- Grief therapy – this form of treatment helps address the behavioural and physical aspects of your feelings. Some people tend to lash out and get into trouble, some even behave irrational and do things they would never have thought of. This therapy not only helps you take note of your behaviour, but it can also help you separate yourself emotionally from the person you lost.
- complicated grief therapy – is a form of psychotherapy that can help anyone struggling with complicated grief. This is a kind of grief that grips the entirety of your being. It can result in thoughts that might be a bit troubling. One might have difficulty controlling his or her emotions, and exhibit unstable behaviour which can make it hard for such a person to adapt without the loved one.
- Traumatic grief therapy – traumatic grief is mostly experienced when a loved one suddenly dies. This therapy helps in reducing the trauma and enables you to deal with the grief.
The grief therapist makes use of various techniques when trying to help you deal with the loss of a loved one. The techniques used include:
- Acceptance and commitment to therapy
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Group therapy
- Art therapy
- Play therapy
- You experience lesser symptoms, physical and emotional
- You will be able to develop a skill that will allow you to cope with your grief and also help you live your life irrespective of the absence of your loved one.
- When you start to understand and cope with what and how you feel, you become more self-aware and that helps better your well-being.
Lastly, it helps you accept the loss. It not only inculcates this and makes your loss fit into your reality, but it also helps through that means maintaining a bond that is of no regret with the one you lost as you live your life.